Virginia beach travel tips
My family and I have been traveling to Virginia Beach since 1994. We have learned ways to cut costs and have a great memorable vacation. We will give you our tips on where to stay, eat and play.
Top 5 picks: Hotels
A great way to cut costs is to book an efficiency room, this allows you to prepare meals in your room, have drinks and snacks on hand. Unlike a Disney Wolrd vacation you use your room so much it is a good idea to get a quality room.
1. Comfort Inn at 24th street is our choice http://www.choicehotels.com/
2. Holiday Inn Surfside or Oceanside http://www.holidayinn.com/
3. Courtyard by Marriot
4. Best Western Colonial Inn http://www.bestwestern.com/
5. 31 Ocean Hilton http://www.hilton.com/
* for more listings of hotels go to http://www.vbfun.com/
Tips on where to eat:
*Save Money by eating at least one meal in your room
* Many grocery stores are near the beach to purchase essentials.
* 7-11 stores are located one block off the beach.
* Fast food restaurants are available on Pacific Ave.
* Frankies ribs is located off the beach but is worth the drive.
* Many hotels offer free breakfast.
* Jody's popcorn is a great snack to enjoy on the beach or while shopping http://www.jodyspopcorn.com/
* Ice Cream: Dairy Queen, Kohr Bro's.,and a little unnamed ice cream stand on the 17th Street Pier, are our favorites. www.dairyqueen.com
* Pizza: Bella Pizza on Atlantic is good and Pizza Hut on Pacific is good www.pizzahut.com
* Doughboys Pizza is fun with the free Hawaiian lays www.doughboyspizza.com
* McDonald's , Wendy's and Pizza Hut are located on Pacific Ave.
* Sea Food restaurants are everywhere many on the boardwalk with views of the ocean.
* Captain George's Seafood Buffet on Laskin Rd. is AWESOME! A wonderful buffet and great T-shirts to bring home with you.
What to do at the Beach:
*The biggest tip is relax, take it easy,keep it simple. Virginia Beach offers a world class beach, the best entertainment a family ever wanted and its free.
* After many vacations my children's favorite activities are still,playing in the sand and riding the waves.
* A three mile boardwalk and bike path offer a great area for biking, rollerblading, jogging, and strolling.
* Rollerblades and bikes are available for rent in many area's of the beach. Or save money and bring your own.
* Enjoy Beach Street USA's free entertainment on Atlantic Ave. www.beachstreetusa.com for a schedule of entertainment.
* Hilby is our favorite show to catch, he is usually located on 23rd street .www.hilby.net He will be performing August 8th-14th.
* Watch the Navy jets fly overhead and the Navy ships go out to sea.
* The Cape Henry lighthouses are interesting, just a short drive down the beach.
* The Virginia Marine Science Museum has a lot to offer and is great way to spend a afternoon.
* Nauticus in Norfolk is alot fun, you can go on the U.S.S. Wisconsin and see what a battleship is like.
* Putt Putt courses are located on Pacific Ave., we like Jungle Golf. www.junglegolf.com
* Dolphin watching is always fun on the beach.
* Busch Gardens Williamsburg and water Country USA are only 1 hour away. www.buschgardens.com
* Colonial Williamsburg is interesting to see. A complete change of pace from the beach. We enjoy strolling through the Colonial area and shopping in Merchants square. www.colonialwilliamsburg.com